Thailand is one of my favorite countries. Most people would even ask me this question : Michelle, there are more countries/places to see, but why do you keep on coming back to Bangkok? It’s like you’re always there!
Yes! I go to Bangkok at least 3-4 times a year. Wanna know why?
It’s cheap! Everything is cheap! From accommodation, food, transportation allowance, shopping, almost everything! even cosmetic surgery!
But actually, Bangkok has so much to offer.
- Temples & Wats- If you’re planning to visit the Temples, please ask your hotel concierge. Some hotels provide free temple tours. If not, you could go and visit the temples and wats on your own. Ride the BTS to Saphan Taksin and walk to Sathorn Pier. From there, take the Chao Phyara Express boat to pier Tha Chang then take a short walk to The Grand Palace. If you’re planning to visit Wat Pho, get off at Tha Thien & take a short walk to Wat Pho. If you also want to visit Wat Arun, from Tha Thien, take a cross river ferry to The Wat Arun.
- Thai Massage- Oh my! It’s like heaven on earth! Don’t worry coz you have your jammies on during the massage. The masseus will press your pressure points and will also stretch your body. How relaxing!
- Calypso- the performers are mostly ladyboys. Most of them train at an early stage to become professional performers. They can sing, dance and act. After the presentation, you can take photos with them so don’t forget to bring your camera.
- Dinner Cruise- Many tour companies offer dinner cruise. It’s a 2 hour dinner 6-8pm or 8-10pm. The driver will pick you up from your hotel and bring you to the pier. (You may pre-order vegetarian, halal or traditional thai food) depending on what you want. However, there are other companies offering buffet style. During the dinner, there’ll be a tour guide and performers.
- For travelers with kids, you can go to Siam Paragon. It’s a high-end mall located at Siam. There’s Kidzania, SEA LIFE Aquariums and Madamme Tussauds Wax
- Enroll in a cooking class- The staff will meet you somewhere. He/she will accompany you to a local market with the other participants to buy the ingredients before heading to the cooking school. There, you will meet the teacher and will help you with the procedure,etc. After the class, you will eat whatever food you prepared.
- Food! – who doesn’t love eat? Gosh! Thai food is one of the best! It’s citrusy, spicy, flavorful : Milk Teas, Fresh Fruit Juices, Fresh Fruits, Curries, Tom Yum, Pad Thai, Chicken Basil, etc.
- Markets- Pratunam market & JJ Market. Most of the shops offer good price if you buy 3 or more items. Pratunam opens as early as 5am daily. JJ market only operates during the weekend. You may ride the MTR or BTS Train to Mo Chit Station or just ride a taxi/tuktuk to Chatuchak or JJ Market.
- Muay thai- watch a muay thai match. It’s different to see it up close.
- Tuktuk- it’s a must try experience in bangkok. In India, there’s rickshaw, in the Philippines, there’s jeepney.